Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Two days in the Garden of Trina.


Several things have happened in the Garden of Trina over the past two days. First of all, Squirt, the yellow garden spider has come up missing. He or she has not been spotted for the last 3 days. I am hoping it just decided to relocate and did not become a bird snack. The kiddo is bummed. While mowing the lawn and cleaning up some debris I came across 3 little toads. I caught them and put them in a bucket for the Monkey Man to check out. He determined that they have soft little bellies (which they do)! He also found out that toads will pee on you if they're scared! Something his mother neglected to tell him, oops! Anyway, after holding and petting and getting peed on, we decided to relocate them to the front bed, lots of mosquitos to eat and they are less apt to be shredded by the weed eater or the mower. Hope they stay. Yesterday evening, I was ripping out my butterfly bush, which was GORGEOUS earlier in the year, but has now drowned from all the rain and bad drainage in the backyard. Kind of pisses me off as that was the ONLY thing I had planted in the back and now it's dead! Anyway, while ripping it out, I discovered a perfect little nest. I believe it might be the nest that housed the whining little cardinal and his family. They are still staying close to our yard, he is bigger now and fully feathered, his tail is starting to turn red, but the folks are still sticking close. My son was very excited to see all three of themout the back window at breakfast yesterday! Cardinals are beautiful birds and I'm so happy they chose our yard! And last but not least, Fuzzy Wuzzy was liberated to the wild yesterday. I finally just got sick of picking leaves and scooping caterpillar frass everyday. It was worse than caring for a damn cat or guinea pig or something! So we went out back, found a nice patch of his favorite food (a vine that grows on my fence) and let him go. I think we may check from time to time to see if he is still around. Hopefully he'll live long and prosper! :-) And in all honesty, he is probably pretty damn happy to be out of that tupperware container!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

I love reading about what you find in your back yard. I've had some toads in mine too and I was telling Ben today as a matter of fact not to pick them up because they pee on people. lol