Friday, July 13, 2007

Keeping it in the family.



Last summer we had the most amazing Yellow Garden spider that lived in my front flower bed. She was HUGE and would weave the most awesome webs with kickass stabilimentums (or would that be stabilimenti?). Anyway, my son loved her and named her Nancy. Well a time came when webs were no longer made and Nancy was nowhere to be found. Gone the way of Charlotte I would assume. I looked all over for an egg sac but never found one. I had been wondering lately if her eggs had hatched and if so, did any of her offspring decide to settle in my garden? About 3 days ago my question was answered, toward the back of the bed attached to my germander bush and the guava bush was a small web with a major stabilimentum (so common for this type of spider), I didn't actually see the spider though. However, yesterday there she was (or he I suppose). This one is a little more shy than Mama was. Nancy spun huge webs and hung out on the front of them, just daring anything to mess with her, but Baby Nancy (Ian hasn't decided on a name for this one yet) is much smaller, the web is therefore smaller and it hangs out toward the backside of the web. So I have a pic of the web, but you can only kind of see its legs. I am posting a picture of Nancy herself, so you can see what an awesome diva she was and a photo of the little squirt!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

I have one of these too in my yard this year! We named it Boris! lol Ben loves her and visits with her every day...and don't ask me where that name came from I have no idea. It's not even a girl name...

I've not posted a pic, but of course now I have to. I rescued her though while I was chopping, weeding, and tilling my garden plot. I almost stepped on her because I didn't see her.

She got relocated to the banana trees and she seems to like that spot just fine. I hope she has lots of babies and I hope they love their new home. :)