Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Garden of Trina





I have worked so hard on my front beds this year.


















My neighbor complimented me and said this was the first time in 12 years that there has been any sort of color in this yard. All it needed was a little TLC (Trina's Love and Care). I wanted some sort of vine to creep up the front, next to the garage, and I was considering a clematis, they had a beautiful deep red one at the nursery. I went to go buy it and saw the most beautiful vine growing on one of their arbors. It was so light and airy and delicate, yet the flowers were bold and red, shaped like stars... absolutely GORGEOUS! I knew it was probably one of those difficult vines that needs full shade or well-draining soil, things this spot does not have, but was informed that despite the look, it was a very versatile and adaptable vine, originally found in Central America. Not only that it was half the price of the clematis. It is called a Cypress Vine. They did say I would need some support for it, as it will not just climb a wall. So I came home, dug in a stake and connected 3 lines of very thin nylon rope to the stake and then I nailed it to my house under the eave. I planted it two days ago and it has vined up the rope about 6 inches already! It is so stinkin' cool! Anyway, here are some photos(you can click on to get a better look) of the vine, my front bed and my beautiful hanging basket of purple wave petunias (you just can't get a prettier purple!). Finally, all my hard work is paying off!

3 comments:

Sean Wright said...

Nice vine. I can just imagine it when you get more flowers on it.

Ginny said...

Oh I like the vine too! I think you should take a shot from the curb so we can see the whole effect. :)

Little Mama said...

Once I get it mulched and all the limestone lining the bed, I'll take a curb photo. I'm SOOO close to being done for awhile! But then again, I'm just now getting those studly buff arms from all the digging and weeding! Oh well, more tile to lay still! Remodeling, the workout of the 21st century!