Friday, July 6, 2007

What a racket!!!


While fixing lunch today I heard a most annoying, high-pitched racket out in the backyard. I went over and slowly opened the blinds in the breakfast area and there it was... a fledgling cardinal perched on my pencil cactus! It was making such a fuss and it reminded me very much of a whining child! It squeaked and complained, hopping from one little branch to the other. I read an article recently about how mothers, regardless of nationality, use the same kind of sing-song voice when addressing a baby and it made me think that with babies the language is almost universal regardless of species! Even though I'm human, I could understand without a doubt that the little cardinal wanted reassurance, maybe even a little help and most definitely a SNACK! Mommy and Daddy have been flying down, offering encouragement and an occasional treat, but as of yet, Baby Cardinal is still perched in my cactus, contemplating its next move! I couldn't resist sneaking out VERY quietly and snapping a couple of photos. And although it doesn't have all of it's feathers in, it has that telltale topknot that cardinals have. I am pleased that they chose our yard and I hope Baby gets its nerve up and learns to fly soon! I'll be keeping tabs on it though!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

awwww it's so cute in an ugly kind of way lol. Baby birds are not the cutest of babies really...

Anyway, great shot. I have a couple of cardinals...a male and female...making my back yard their residence. So far I've been unable to take decent photos...they are so skiddish!

I discovered yesterday though that they like to eat the seeds off of my Mexican Sunflowers. They've got a nest somewhere I'm sure but I've not located it yet.