Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Why young kids are GREAT!

Here is a list of things that make little kids so awesome! And by little, I mean ages 4-6ish, just because that is what I know. I'm sure in a couple of years I'll have a post that describes the great things about 7-9 year-olds. Anyway, here goes:

1. Brutal honesty. My kid tells it like it is. If his baby sister has a full diaper, he is more than happy to point out that she stinks. He tells me that he wiped a booger on the carpet on the stairs. When I ask why he has his fingers jammed in his butt crack, he tells me it's because it itches. So with that kind of honesty happening, I know that when he says he loves me, he means it and when he says I look like a princess in a dress, I know that I must!

2. Natural curiosity. Everything is explored with all the senses and everything is open for discussion. Why are some caterpillars fuzzy and some are not? Why don't we have dinosaurs anymore? Does everything poop? Why is that person darker than me, or shorter than me? Why can't you drive across the Pacific Ocean? Why do cats lick themselves? How can life be boring when you spend your time answering some of the greatest questions of all time?

3. They have never met anyone they didn't like. This is so endearing, everyone is a potential friend. Granted, in this day and age, it's a little scary because of all the sick bastards out there, but it is still such a wonderful quality. And not only do they like everyone they meet, they think everyone they meet likes them!

4. Innocence. They have a general sense that the world is safe and wonderful (although I suppose every child doesn't have this luxury depending on the circumstance). They don't yet understand inequality and unfairness. And they think they are GREAT at everything (even if they're not!) My son tells the worst knock-knock jokes in the world, but he insists that he is a comic genius!

5. All they want is to love and be loved! Their whole world revolves around their love for things. My son tells me everyday how much he loves me, how much he loves his Daddy, his baby sister, his dog, his cat, his Buzz Lightyear, his Ottery Otter. And he is quick to let me know that I love him too.

6. Everything is an adventure. Just going to the grocery store or to the library or to the nursery to look at flowers is a treat!

7. Ice cream is considered a delicacy!

8. The thing they are most scared of is hiding under the bed or in the closet when they turn out the light. Many haven't been exposed to the real horrors that life has to offer.

I could probably go on, but these were what came to mind today. Little kids are great, they may push your buttons, test their limits and be general nuisances sometimes, but you just can't deny how sweet and wonderful they are. Well, at least mine is!

No comments: