Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a cat.



OK, I'm pretty sure I should just be turning this blog into an entomology field journal for my son! Ian the Cat Herder and I found a lovely specimen of Woolly Bear caterpillar while I was trying to tame some vine in my backyard. So needless to say, said cat was captured, brought into the house and positively identified. He now resides in a Glad container with some potting soil and some of the leaves of the vine we found him on. We kept him overnight and when I checked on him this morning I was amazed, and slightly appalled at the amount of frass (caterpillar poop) that was in there. I told Ian and he quite non-chalantly informed me that of course Fuzzy poops alot, he EATS alot! My kid's one smart cookie! :-) Anyway, Fuzzy is being kept in his enclosure while I figure out what he needs. From what I'm seeing, I think he will eat the rest of the summer and want to be someplace cold for the winter (they suggest putting him in the freezer!) and then he'll do his thing in the spring. I just don't know if I have the patience for this kind of commitment right now. After all, I told Ian he couldn't have a guinea pig, and honestly the care involved in rearing this caterpillar is damn near the same thing! Only a guinea pig would actually like to be handled. Fuzzy does NOT, he curls up in a ball and plays dead! In fact, that is exactly what he's doing in these photos. Silly caterpillar, he didn't fool us! If there's anyone with experience raising these little farts, please let me know. I may decide to liberate him to the wild in a week or so, we'll see.

1 comment:

Ginny said...

I have a bunch of these in my yard too. I don't know anything about the care of them, but if you ever need an expert on Monarchs I can help you there! You of course probably are already well rehearsed in raising Monarchs. :)