Monday, July 16, 2007

An old classic becomes a new favorite!


I was raised on very traditional southern food, lots of fried chicken, roast beef, coleslaw, home-made pies and dinner rolls. You know, all that good comfort food. A couple of weeks ago I had a craving for an old classic, Egg Salad Sandwiches! I know, egg salad may not be some folks idea of a great sandwich, and I can respect that. However, for me, egg salad reminds me of having lunch with my grandparents and that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! So, I made a batch of egg salad and HOPED my kids would enjoy it. Believe it or not, it was a big hit with both! And since my friend Ginny is buggin' for new recipes here goes! Oh just as an FYI, if you're looking for beautiful presentation, you'll have to look on someone else's page. Cause bottom line, it's the taste that counts! And in case you're wondering, I did NOT steal that glass from Pizza Hut!

Egg Salad on Toast (served with Sun Chips and a tall iced tea)

Hard boiled eggs (I use about 4 to feed me and two kids, hubby would rather eat his shoe than eat egg salad.)
A tbsp or so of finely chopped onions
One decent sized dill pickle finely chopped
About equal amounts of mayo and yellow mustard (add these in SMALL increments as you don't want to get it over dressed, you want the eggs to be the main flavor, not the condiments)
And my secret ingredients, (which also make my deviled eggs and potato salad better) a sprinkle of dried dill, some paprika and just a pinch of dried rosemary)
Salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy on plain or toasted bread!

2 comments:

Ginny said...

I love egg salad too! I grew up on the same type of food fare you did. When I eat egg salad sandwiches or tuna sandwiches I also get that same feeling you describe.

Often I was at my grandparents house and those were a favorite on our lunch menu. My other favorite was tomato soup to accompany my sandwich.
Good memories...

Little Mama said...

Oooooo! Tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches, that is the BEST combo! But yeah, when I make the egg salad and sit to eat it, I can almost envision her table and the kitchen window with the Rose of Sharon just outside. I miss that time of my life! So simple and carefree!