Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Rescue of Rodan


While on vacation in Ruidoso, I did a very noble thing. I saved this poor guy from his imminent demise. As I walked out of the Lawrence Bros. grocery I noticed a small band of hoodlums poking something with a stick. So I strolled close to see what the excitement was all about. As it turns out, it was this beautiful Rhinoceros Beetle (at least I think that's what it is). I shooed all the little turds away and scooped him up in a plastic grocery bag to take him back to the cabin in order for my son to check him out and to release him in the woods by the house. He stayed with us a couple of days, I put him on a stick on the table out front to look at him and to take some photos, we named him Rodan as I'm sure he was big enough to take on Godzilla! I assumed he would be on his merry way after a couple of hours, but the next day I found him lurking underneath the table, then the next morning he had flipped over and had his "horn" stuck in the space between the wood slats on the deck. Gorgeous bug, but not too damn bright! So I picked him up and physically placed him next to a tree trunk in the woods. I hope he went about his business and has a successful life. As big as he was, it leads me to believe he'd been around for awhile. Long live Rodan! (And yes, that is a Hot Wheels car, isn't that amazing!)

1 comment:

Ginny said...

great looking beetle...you are correct about what kind it is.