Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Bear Report!

The cabin we are going to in Ruidoso is owned by my hubby's folks and his aunt and uncle. So there are many of us in the family that use it. It is a wonderful, relaxing, serene place and we can't wait to get there, just a few more days! Anyway, there is always a chance in the canyon that you might see a bear, usually late at night and usually with its head in a dumpster with its butt sticking out! Well our aunt and uncle informed us that the bears are out in droves this year. Don't know if their food supply is low or they are just flat out becoming accustomed to humans and losing that innate fear. Either way, bear sightings are definitely on the rise.

While at the cabin last week, our aunt and uncle reported hearing a great deal of noise out on the front deck. They looked out the window to see all what all the ruckus was and there were 2 juvenile bears on the deck, rolling around and eating the peanuts that had been set out for the birds. As they were rolling around, they discovered a hummingbird feeder hanging from the eave and decided they needed to get it down. After a bit, they succeeded in knocking it off, smashing it and licking up all the sugary contents! Now although it had to be a fascinating sight to see and as much as I would enjoy a similar show, it does give me a bit of an uneasy feeling about hanging around on the deck at dusk or after dark. And I will certainly keep a VERY close eye on my children! There was a possibility that we were going to have to take our dog, but I have pleaded with a friend to take him because I DID NOT want to risk an after-dark run-in with a black bear while taking the dog out for a late night pee! And I certainly wouldn't have been comfortable using his stake-out with bears lumbering around! So doggy will stay here with friends, safe and sound. I will be looking forward to seeing all the wildlife and smelling that wonderful pine-scented air and feeling the cool canyon breeze! I'm counting the days!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

I was surprised to see three bears and be so close to two others while I was in Colorado. You guys stay alert! I think these bears are definitely associating humans with food...not good. Are you sure you don't want the dog around for protection?