Monday, May 21, 2007

Freeing myself from a burden of CRAP!

Over the past 3 weeks I have made a VERY concerted effort to rid my life of excess CRAP! Old magazines, manuals for TV's and VCR's we had years ago, baby stuff, old clothing, pans I don't use anymore. Whatever I can find that I don't adore is getting the boot!! I've even put my fishtank up for adoption, it will go to its new home tomorrow. They will be happier little fish, I can assure you (even though my son would disagree, he's pretty p.o.'d about the whole thing!). But alas, I have been bogged down in a sea of crap for so long and I will surely drown if I don't get out from under it! I am in such a liquidation mode that on occasion I have even considered selling off my grandmother's antique dining room set. It is beautiful, but it is HUGE and a giganto pain in the ass. But as much as I'd like to have a home sparsely decorated with simple IKEA furniture, I don't have the heart to part with her set. It IS gorgeous and it was the table I had Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners at my entire childhood and now it is the table I have served 3 Christmas dinners of my own on. But I do have to say, the more CRAP I get rid of, the better I feel. It is almost like I can breathe again. There is still a long way to go, but it's getting there. And my new motto for shopping is this: Do I LOVE it? Do I truly NEED it? Do I actually have ROOM for it? If those three criteria are not met, then it's not getting purchased. It should help me keep my life decluttered and possibly help out my checkbook as well!

No comments: