Monday, May 21, 2007

Budding botanist.

I've always been a critter girl. Hell, in college I was a Biology major with emphasis in Physiology and Zoology. So, in my need to make my home more pleasant, I wanted to attract more critters. You know, a backyard habitat situation. Well, when I lived in Oregon, I didn't have to work at getting things to grow, they just did! But down here in Texas, you just can't do that. It is too damn hot here! But not desert hot, it's humid and hot, so you can't do the cool xeriscaping like they do in NM and AZ. Not to mention the fact that my HOA would FREAK if I ripped out my front lawn and replaced it with cactus and decorative rock! So I have spent the last year trying to figure out what to do with my pitiful suburban hell yard. This house came with 2 trees (both maples) a bunch of burford hollies and a Ligustrum tree and that's it. Now I do love maples, but I love them in Oregon where they don't struggle through summer drought! Mine are sad little trees that long for rainy days and cloudy skies.

I am now in the throes of filling in a tree ring and I just ripped out the ridiculous flower bed I planted to "make do" until I could figure out something better to do. I have now extended it and connected it with the "bed" under the front window. I am hoping to go on a rock hunt soon to find some local limestone to add decorative touches and interest to my sparse little garden until plants can mature. Next projects will include an herb garden to be grown in a galvanized steel horse trough and hopefully a raised bed in the backyard that will grow lovely veggies next summer.

It has recently been determined that digging in the dirt and growing something beautiful makes me happy! Not only that, but learning about the different plants, what is native and drought tolerant, and what attracts butterflies and hummingbirds has been very invigorating! It is taking time, but I think by next summer, I will be so much happier with my outdoor space! And the knowledge that I am gaining and passing along to my son is wonderful. So, here I am...the budding botanist!

No comments: